Tips for trimming Crepe Myrtles:
- It is best to prune your crepe myrtles in the late winter while the trees are still dormant. In the Houston area, you should trim your trees in January of February.
- Make sure your loppers and hand pruners are sharp, so that you do not tear at the branches.
- Cut the branches at a 45 degree angle.
- Begin by trimming away all sucker branches. This includes cutting any shoots from the base of the tree.
- Make the cut 4-6″ beyond the previous trimming.
- Prune the branches for the desired tree shape. Cutting in a visible curve will give your tree a fountain shape when growth fills in.